'Qualified' Sourav hits out at critics

Telegraph India

Telegraph India

Author 2019-09-18 07:15:00

img

Sourav Ganguly on Monday squashed speculation about his tenure as Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) president, saying he is “qualified” to serve another 10 months of his six-year period.

“I don’t know who is saying what. But I know I am eligible to contest the elections,” the former India captain told The Telegraph late on Tuesday evening.

“We are confident of holding our AGM on September 28. Some people are deliberately trying to create some nuisance but we do not care,” Sourav said.

An advisory by the Committee of Administrators (CoA) clarifying certain aspects of the disqualification rule and cooling-off period cast a cloud over Sourav’s tenure as CAB president.

“The period spent by an individual as a working committee member in BCCI and/or member of working/managing/executive committee of a member association (by whatever name the apex-level governance committee is called) or as a director of a member association will be counted to calculate the nine-year period applicable as cap on tenure as a councillor and the six-year period necessitating cooling off,” the CoA said.

Sourav had been a working committee member for three years before taking over as an office-bearer in 2014 and that set off speculation that he was ineligible.

But he put the record straight saying there was “a year’s gap” between his term as a member of the working committee and taking over as CAB joint secretary.

Sourav had last been a working committee member in 2012-13 and assumed the joint secretary’s post in July 2014. The nomination process for the elections, which was stopped at the CAB to clear confusion, will reopen on Thursday.

READ SOURCE

Experience triple speed

Never miss the exciting moment of the game

DOWNLOAD