7 Things You Should Know Before Calling Yourself A Fan Of Bishan Singh Bedi, India's Best Left-Arm Spinner
No left-arm orthodox spinner has perhaps had so much impact on Indian cricket as much as Bishan Singh Bedi.
One of the best left-arm spinners in the world, he formed part of India's famed spin quartet which was a thorn in the flesh of many batsmen in the 1960s and 70s.
But there is more to the man than what meets the eye. Let's take a look:
1. Has the most wickets by an Indian in first-class cricket - 1560
2. Took over as skipper from Tiger Pataudi in 1976
3. Washed his own clothes as a form of exercise to keep fit
4. In 2008, Wisden Cricketers' Almanack named him as one of the five best cricketers to have not been selected as a Wisden Cricketer of the Year
5. During the home series against England in 1976-77 he accused John Lever of using vaseline to illegally polish the ball, though the latter was cleared
6. In 1978, he became the first captain to concede an international cricket match when he called his batsmen back during an ODI vs Pakistan
7. His son Angad played Under-19 cricket for Delhi and is now a Bollywood actor and model