All you need to know about 'The Hundred'
- The ECB is now looking to make the sport more entertaining and quick paced for both players and spectators by taking the 100 ball route.
- The ECB's brainchild is being termed as a revolutionary project.
- The tournament will have eight teams, each of which will feature a men's and a women's team.
With big name players like Steve Smith, David Warner, Rashid Khan, Kane Williamson, Andre Russell and others involved in the men's tournament, the buzz continues to grow louder for the England and Wales Cricket Board's brainchild, which is being termed as a revolutionary project. After the huge success of the Twenty20 format, the ECB is now looking to make the sport more entertaining and quick paced for both players and spectators by taking the 100 ball route.
But what is 'The Hundred', the new 100-ball tournament exactly? What are the rules? TimesofIndia.com takes a look at all the details, rules and regulations and teams in the upcoming tournament which will feature some of the best players from around the globe.
A total of eight teams, based in seven different cities (two teams from London) will be participating in the competition.
Birmingham Phoenix (Edgbaston)
London Spirit (Lord's)
Manchester Originals (Emirates Old Trafford)
Northern Superchargers (Emerald Headingley)
Oval Invincibles (The Oval)
Southern Brave (Ageas Bowl)
Trent Rockets (Trent Bridge)
Welsh Fire (Cardiff)
It's the rules of the tournament (100 ball cricket) that have made it a big talking point. The format and timing of the league was decided to try and reach out especially to the 'wifes and kids' during the summer break.
Rules and regulations:
* The match will have a total of 200 legal deliveries with 100 balls being bowled per innings
* One over will consist of 10 deliveries
* The bowling ends will change after every 10 balls
* Bowlers will deliver either five balls or 10 consecutive ones and the decision lies with the team captain. So two different bowlers can bowl one over (10 balls in this case)
* Each bowler can deliver a maximum of 20 balls per match
* Each bowling side gets a strategic timeout of up to two and a half minutes
* During the timeout, the coach can walk out to the middle and discuss tactics with his players
* 25-ball powerplay for each team at the beginning of the innings
* Two fielders will be allowed outside the 30-yard circle during the powerplays
* A match will run for approximately two and a half hours
The head coaches of the teams have been finalised and there are some heavy duty names on this list
* All teams to have 15 member squads
* Maximum of three foreign players allowed per squad
* At least one England Test player will have to be signed by each of the eight men's teams
Birmingham Phoenix - Andrew McDonald
London Spirit - Shane Warne
Manchester Originals - Simon Katich
Northern Superchargers - Darren Lehmann
Oval Invincibles - Tom Moody
Southern Brave - Mahela Jayawardene
Trent Rockets - Stephen Fleming
Welsh Fire - Gary Kirsten