Bangla on strike, India tour in doubt
dhaka, October 21
Bangladesh's cricketers will be on an indefinite strike until their demands are met by the country's cricket board (BCB), skipper Shakib Al Hasan said, putting next month's tour of India in doubt.
The strike has affected the ongoing National Cricket League, Bangladesh's First-Class cricket competition, and the national training camp ahead of the Indian tour. The tour of India, which starts on November 3, includes three T20Iss and two Tests. Bangladesh announced a 15-man T20 squad last week, with Shakib set to lead the side."From the National Cricket League to First-Class (cricket), national team preparations, internationals... Everything is included (in the strike)," Shakib said.
"Apart from the U-19s and the other age-group teams, all First-Class and national teams are included. When the demands are met, normal service will resume. All of us want cricket to improve. Some of us will play for another 10 years, some for four to five years. We want to create a good environment for the players who will come after us, so Bangladesh cricket can move forward," he said.
The players’ demands include reversing the board's decision to scrap the franchise-based model in the Bangladesh Premier League (T20 tournament) and removing the salary cap in the Dhaka Premier League (50-overs competition). They are also seeking higher match fees for First-Class cricketers.
A BCB spokesman said the board would not make a statement until they were formally presented with the list of demands. Shakib said the women's team were not part of the boycott but that they were welcome to join them if they also had issues that needed to be addressed. "We haven't been able to include the women cricketers here, because it was done in a rush," Shakib added. "If they have any demands, they are most welcome to join us. I'm sure they have grievances too. If they come to us and join us, we will be able to put forward their demands too." — Reuters