Happy Birthday Chris Gayle: A look at some biggest records held by the Universe Boss
Chris Gayle, arguably the biggest entertainer that the world of cricket has ever seen, turns 40 on September 21, 2019. The Windies legend is icon across the globe, having mesmerised fans with his power-hitting in virtually every country he has played in. A fearsome batsman for the opposition on the field and a dear friend off it, Gayle will go down in cricketing history as one of the most charismatic players of all time.
Although there still remains a ray of doubt over Gayle's retirement, with the Jamaican refusing to confirm whether he has retired from international cricket despite wearing the 301 (his total number of ODIs for Windies) numbered jersey in the third ODI against India in August.
It is, however, believed that the cricketer is done when it comes to international cricket but will remain active when it comes to the shortest format for franchise leagues.
In a career that started on September 11, 1999, against India, Gayle has gone on to register numerous records to his name while also registering numerous records to his name. Some of the biggest ones are as follows:
- Gayle is the only batsman to have scored a triple century in Tests, a double hundred in ODIs and a ton in T20Is.
- The big-hitting West Indian has a total of 2 Test triple hundreds to his name, which is the joint-highest.
- With a total of 22 T20 hundreds to his name, Gayle holds the record of reaching the triple-figure mark on the most number of occasions in the shortest format.
- Gayle is the only batsman to have begun his innings by hitting a six off the first ball of a Test match
- He presently holds the record highest score as well as the fastest hundred in T20s: 175* off 66 balls, which saw him reach his century in a record time of 30 balls.
- Gayle also holds the record of scoring most number of sixes in international cricket at 534. Shahid Afridi comes next at 476.
- Gayle is the highest-scoring batsman for West Indies in ODI cricket with 10480 runs
In international cricket, Gayle has played a total of 103 Tests, 301 ODIs and 58 T20Is, scoring 7215, 10480 and 1627 runs respectively.