He’s no Ricky Ponting, but fellow Tasmanian Tim Paine can boast that he has retained the Ashes
Whether Australia win or lose this Oval Test, they retain the Ashes – and Tim Paine will achieve what his fellow Tasmanian Ricky Ponting failed to do on his two tours of England as Australia’s captain, in 2005 and 2009, with a far stronger batting line-up.
So there has to be more to Paine than the boyish appearance that meets the eye. He bears no resemblance to typical Australian cricket captains, the Pontings and Steve Waughs and Allan Borders, whom you would not like to bump into in a dark alley after a few beers. Paine looks as though he would say “excuse me” and politely step aside; yet he has led Australia back from the...
Get the inside edge with The Telegraph
Register or subscribe to continue reading
Already a subscriber? Log in
- One free Premium article per week
- Newsletters and daily briefings
30 days free, then £3 per week
- Unlimited access to Premium articles including the very best cricket analysis
- Subscriber-only newsletters
- Exclusive events and rewards
- The daily newspaper on your smartphone or tablet
Want to learn more? View subscription options