Ind Vs Ban: Soumya Sarkar Reportedly Vomited Because Of Delhi Smog
On Sunday, India hosted Bangladesh at the Arun Jaitley Stadium in Delhi for the first T20I in the bilateral series. The match was a historic one for Bangladesh as they clinched their first-ever T20I win against the Indian team. Another major talking point during the match was the hazardous quality of air in the city.
Soumya Sarkar vomits
The polluted smog at the stadium was so bad that it is being reported that top-order batsman Soumya Sarkar was one of the two players to have vomited, while at the pitch, because of the toxic conditions. The Air Quality Index (AQI) has been lingering in the 'Hazardous' range for the last week and this air pollution did not spare the match. Player of the match Mushfiqur Rahim, while talking about his experience in the match, stressed on the effect the smog had on him. Mushfiqur said that he was not really focused on the discomfort but the bowler that he was facing. Mushfiqur's experience may have been influenced by his psychology but that may not necessarily be the case with other players. Indian batting coach Vikram Rathour reportedly claimed that the Indian team was used to the conditions and there was not really any need that was seen for special measures.
Ganguly thanks both teams
Thank u to both the teams to play this game @ImRo45@BCBtigers under tuff conditions .. well done bangladesh ..— Sourav Ganguly (@SGanguly99) November 3, 2019
BCCI President Sourav Ganguly took to Twitter to thank both the teams for having played in tough conditions. Environmentalists had reportedly written to Ganguly, urging him to shift the match out of the capital. Since there was not too much time in the BCCI's hands, the match had to be played at Delhi. Ganguly has commented on the issue and clarified that the BCCI will be 'more practical' about the organisation of cricket matches in North India during the winters. Polluted air and bad AQI scores are yearly phenomena in Delhi because of crop burning in neighbouring areas along with the over-bursting of crackers during Diwali.