Joe Root must do much better as England captain - but he is the man to take a remodelled team forward
All the talk of Joe Root’s position being under threat - I understand it in a way. But I still think it’s wrong. It sometimes takes captains a long time to understand how to go about things, and develop that tactical nous and instinct. He’s going in the right direction. Root is certainly the man to lead them forward.
This series has been pretty much the story of Root’s time as captain: inconsistent. One week good, one week bad. And then repeat. That’s why England haven’t done enough to win the Ashes, even though they’ve shown a lot of character so far at The Oval. ...
Get the inside edge with The Telegraph
Register or subscribe to continue reading
Already a subscriber? Log in
- One free Premium article per week
- Newsletters and daily briefings
30 days free, then £2 per week
- Unlimited access to Premium articles including the very best cricket analysis
- Subscriber-only newsletters
- Exclusive events and rewards
- The daily newspaper on your smartphone or tablet
Want to learn more? View subscription options