Not even a phone call? Snubbed Lynn’s anger over ‘poor’ selector silence
Chris Lynn has reignited the communication issue between players and selectors.Source:AAP
Chris Lynn has reignited the communication issue between players and selectors, questioning why he wasn’t contacted about his Twenty20 non-selection.
Lynn was this month overlooked for Australia’s home T20 series against Sri Lanka and Pakistan, along with several other stars.
The Queensland master blaster still has aspirations of playing for Australia in next year’s T20 World Cup after being one of the most damaging players in the Big Bash League’s history.
Live stream the Australia v Pakistan T20 & Test Series with KAYO SPORTS on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14-day free trial >
Chief selector Trevor Hohns admitted he was unsure if Lynn was in the country when he announced the squad earlier this month, after he hadn’t played in the one-day domestic competition.
Lynn has been in Australia for the past two months, but opted not to play for Queensland in the 50-over games after originally committing to the Euro T20 League and Afghanistan Premier League before they fell over.
“I don’t mind being dropped (but) to not make a phone call, that lack of communication is very poor,” Lynn told AAP at Kayo’s summer of cricket launch.
“And it has probably been poor for a number of years now in Australian cricket.
“There have been plenty of scenarios where blokes have found out online, it’s not that hard to pick up the phone and make a call.”
Lynn will play his first game of the summer in Thursday’s Prime Minister’s XI clash against Sri Lanka.
Lynn was speaking during Kayo’s summer of cricket launch.Source:News Corp Australia
He was a part of Australia’s T20 side last summer, but did not play in the team’s two most recent games in the format in India in March.
Cricket Australia’s policy is that players who were in the most recent squad for a format are contacted by selectors if they are to be dropped. Hohns also claimed in April that Lynn had turned his focus away from the one-day game when overlooked for the World Cup and Australia A squads, a point that was at the time denied by his management.
“I can’t really say too much about it,” Lynn said.
“It’s just to think being the chairman of selectors he would have an idea of where you’re at or what you’re playing, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
“Every player knows where they sit, but that little confirmation whether it’s good or bad is something.
“JL (coach Justin Langer) is big on honesty, so hopefully that filters through to the coaches and players, but also selectors.”
West Australian allrounder Nathan Coulter-Nile sparked a similar debate last summer, when he was ruled out of an Australian ODI squad through injury without being told.
Meanwhile Lynn said his two-month stint without playing had his troublesome shoulder feeling as strong as possible headed into this summer. He goes at a strike-rate of above 130 for Australia albeit with an average of only 19.40, while he is the second leading run-scorer in the BBL’s history.
“I would love to play the Twenty20 World Cup on Australian soil. I know what I have to do, keep the body strong and be a good leader for the Brisbane Heat,” the 29-year-old said.
“And I think if I do that then you give the selectors no reason not to pick you. “If I don’t make the squad that is okay, I know I have given it 100 per cent.”
Originally published asNot even a phone call? Snubbed Lynn’s anger over ‘poor’ selector silence