Victory at the Oval should not deceive England - they still have work to do to become the equal of Australia
It is nice England won at the Oval to end a great summer on a good note but we should not be deceived in thinking that because it was 2-2 we were equal to Australia. We were not.
Australia’s cricket in this match was 15 percent below their best. With the Ashes retained, they could not rouse themselves to play their best cricket.
But over the course of the series they deserved to retain the Ashes because we did not win those big moments when matches were on the line. Australia held their nerve when it mattered and won those decisive moments.
There were three successes for England. Stuart Broad, Jofra Archer and Ben Stokes. Broad bowled magnificently throughout the series. He stuck to a beautiful,...
Get the inside edge with The Telegraph
Register or subscribe to continue reading
Already a subscriber? Log in
- One free Premium article per week
- Newsletters and daily briefings
30 days free, then £2 per week
- Unlimited access to Premium articles including the very best cricket analysis
- Subscriber-only newsletters
- Exclusive events and rewards
- The daily newspaper on your smartphone or tablet
Want to learn more? View subscription options