Virat Kohli: Here are some of the skipper’s top achievements
Indian captain Virat Kohli turned 31 on Tuesday, November 5. He is undoubtedly at the peak of his career and the run-machine's popularity is on the rise with every passing day.
With every match, Kohli goes on to either make or break records, both as a player and a captain. He has also been one of the most successful captains in Indian cricket history.
As the skipper celebrates his birthday, let’s take a look at some of his top records and achievements
- Virat Kohli holds the record for seven double tons in Tests, smashes records
- The Indian skipper has the most number of double centuries (7) in Tests among Indian batsmen. He has the highest score of 254* in the format. With a double ton against South Africa, he equalled the likes of Mahela Jayawardene and Wally Hammond.
- Kohli surpassed Bradman (8) for scoring the most number of 150-plus scores in Tests, as a captain (9).
- He is the fourth-fastest to 26 Test tons. Kohli is also the fourth player to score a ton in the 50th match as captain in Tests.
- The Indian Skipper is the only Indian to average 50 in the T20 format. He is the only batsman, in the history of cricket, to have 50+ average across formats (Tests: 54.78 and ODI: 60.31).
- He hasn’t scored a century in T20 format but he has scored 22 half-centuries in T20Is.
- Kohli has scored 1,000 runs in three consecutive calendar years (2016- 1,215, 2017- 1,059 and 2018- 1,322).
- He has the most doubles hundreds (7) as the Test skipper.
- Kohli is the most successful Indian Test captain, having registered the most wins (31).
- The Indian captain has the most overseas wins as India's Test skipper (13).
- He is the first batsman to score 20,000 international runs in a single decade.
- He is the fastest batsman to reach 10,000 ODI runs.
- He also smashed the fastest 1,000 ODI runs in a calendar year (11 innings).
- In 2017, Kohli hammered the most ODI runs (1,460) as the Indian captain in a calendar year.